Reverting to my comfort food after a week-long holiday feast. The Zucchini 西葫芦from the local supermarket adds a sweet, tender and refreshing flavor.
Makes about 45 dumplings
- 300g all purpose flour or plain flour 中筋面粉
- 150g water in room temperature (substituted by carrot juice or spinach juice of your choice)
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 250g ground pork
- 125g ginger and spring onion water* (calls for 15g sliced ginger and 15g roughly chopped spring onions and 200g water)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce 生抽
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (optional)
- 250g shredded zucchini 西葫芦 or blanched assorted mushrooms or any suitable vegetables)
- Combine all wrapper ingredients in a mixing bowl. Use your hand to mix them together.
- Tip the dough out on a lightly floured surface and, using your fingers and palms, knead for 5-6 minutes till the dough becomes smooth.
- Put the dough back to the bowl, cover it with cling wrap and leave to rest for 20 minutes. (you can start to make fillings while you wait)
- Divide the dough into three pieces. Pick one piece, roll the dough into a long snake of about 1.5cm diameter then divide it into 15 equal pieces.
- Simply use your hand to pick up each piece and pound it into the floured surface to make a small circular disc. Then use a rolling pinto smooth out each disc till its about 9cm in diameter. You can add some flour to the rolling pin to keep the wrappers from sticking.
- *Ginger and spring onion water – add sliced ginger, spring onions and water in a bowl. squeeze ginger and spring onions in the water, rub them in the water then drain by discarding used spring onions and ginger.
- Place ground pork in another mixing bowl. Add 1/3 of the ginger and spring onion water, use chopsticks to stir the meat in clockwise direction for 100 times. Add the other two 1/3 of the water using the same approach.
- Add rest of the filling ingredients and mix well with ‘watered’ ground pork.
- Combine above mixture with shredded zucchini or other vegetables.
- Spoon a tablespoon of filling into the center of the wrapper, form taco shape and start .pinching one end of the wrapper to seal, heading towards the middle.
Cook (9-10 minutes)
- Make a big pot of boiling water.
- Add the dumplings into the boiling water and cover the pot. Fill into the pot with 1 cup of cold water every 2-3 minutes for three times whenever the water starts boiling.