Yields about 60 Xiao Long Bao,
- 250g plain flour 中筋面粉
- 125g, water in room temperature
- 1/3 teaspoon, salt
- 300g ground pork
- 100g minced shrimp (optional) or same amount of ground pork
- 3 tablespoon water in room temperature
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced 姜末
- 30g or 2-3 tablespoons spring onions, minced 香葱末
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce 生抽
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar白糖
- 1 teaspoon Chinese cooking wine料酒
- 1 teaspoon corn flour生粉
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil 香油
- 1/3 teaspoon white pepper 白胡椒粉
- 200g pork jelly cubes 肉皮冻 (recipe)
- Place the flour and salt in a mixing bowl and gradually add in the water; mix it with a fork or chopsticks.
- Use your fingers to bring the mixture together and make a dough. Knead the dough for about 6 minutes till it is smooth. Cover the bowl in a plastic bag. Rest for 20 minutes.
- Place the minced pork in a bowl. Gradually add water and stir in the same direction for 100 times. Add the cooking oil and stir in the same direction. Combine with the rest of the ingredients and stir all in one direction till all ingredients are well mixed.
- To make the wrap, cut the dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll one piece into a long snake of about 1.5cm diameter and cut in 1cm, cover the dough pieces (each pieces weighs 5-6 grams); roll one till a ball and press it down as a dish and roll it out in a circle about a diameter of 6-7cm, about 1mm thin – edges are thinner than the center as this has to hold the filling.
- Place a half tablespoon of filling in the center of the wrap and add 1 pork jelly cube. Fold the edges to the center while twisting so the bao is completed sealed. You should aim to achieve 18-20 folds/pleats for one single bao.
- Bring the water of the steamer to a boil, place parchment paper into the steam basket, place the Xiao Long Bao in the steam basket, cover it with a lid and steam on high heat for 6-8 minutes.
- Serve the Xiao Long Bao with dipping sauce.