When you have a jar of pickled chilies made from truly fresh ingredients, the taste is a couple of thousand times more wonderful than anything a commercial producer can make. The canning process is easy and straightforward. To make the recipe work, always sterilize your canning jars and lids and remember laying one layer of peppers, then salt and Sichuan peppercorns. It is an indispensable ingredient for an authentic Fish Fragrant Shredded Pork, a classic Sichuan Cuisine dish.
- 900g water, tap water is perfectly fine
- 450g red chili pepper, serrano chilies or Thai bird chilies, or any red hot chilies available to you
- 250g ginger, peeled and cut into big slices
- 250g salt
- 1.5 tablespoons Sichuan peppercorns花椒
- Clean and sterilize canning jars and lids. Drain.
- Peel the ginger, rinse the red chili pepper and drain. Again, use clean kitchen towel to pat them dry.
- Bring the 900g water to a boil. Make sure your pot is clean when boiling the water. Once water is boiled, turn off the heat and leave the water to cool down to the room temperature.
- Get 1 canning jar, place one layer of red chili pepper and ginger, followed by another one layer of salt. Then sprinkle some Sichuan peppercorns on top of the salt. Repeat the process until all ingredients are used up. Pour the cooled water to the pickle jar. All your ingredients should be soaked in the water. Cover the lid.
- Place the jar in a cool environment. You can start enjoy the pickled peppers and ginger in 7 days later. Do remember to use clean utensils whenever you take some pickled peppers and gingers out of the jar.
- Do keep the liquid in the jar. This is the ‘mother’ pickling juice in which you can throw more vegetables (red peppers, cabbage, green beans, radishes, daikon) for your next batch of pickled vegetable.