This is a very delightful dessert. The elegance of this dish lies in its simplicity. Chinese believe there are also added health benefits with poached or steamed pears. It is a home remedy for coughs and sore throats. They believe it helps relieve irritation in the throat, reduce coughing (especially loud ones), prevent dehydration of respiratory tract and reduce fevers.
Make 3-4 servings
- 3 to 4 pears, you can simply use any types of pears as long as they are not too soft and won’t fall apart during the poaching process
- 2 to 3 tablespoons rock sugar冰糖
- 3 tablespoons Chinse oooking wine, you will want to use the best quality cooking wine available at your grocery store. Click here for homemade Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tablespoons, almond slivers (optional), toasted, 杏仁片
- Peel the pear, Remove the core from the bottom if you have the right tool). If not, just leave the core on. Leave the stems on.
- In a medium size pot, combine Chinese cooking wine and rock sugar. Add into peeled pears The pear should stand upright and touch each other. Fill the pot with water. The water should be covering 80% of the pear body from bottom. Turn to the high heat to bring to a boil. Cook for about 20 to 30 minutes till pears softened.
- In the meantime, use a small pan to toast your almond slivers. Once done, set aside to cool off.
- Remove the pears from the liquid and place them in a plate. Bring the liquid in the pot to a boil over high heat to reduce to a syrup. Turn the heat off.
- To plate the dessert, place one cooked pear in a small plate. Take a tablespoon of the syrup from the pot and pour over the pear. Sprinkle the pear with almond slivers.
- The dessert can be served either warm or cold.