I never missed this dish whenever visiting my favorite Yunnan restaurant in Beijing. This recipe is about as simple as it gets, in fact: the tofu skin is softened in the water, then quickly stir-fried with large pieces of bell pepper and tomato until it is tender and almost meaty.
- 100g 2 to 3 big dried tofu sheets (tofu skin) , cut into 4-inch long pieces， 豆腐衣
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ large green bell pepper, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 or 2 medium size firm tomatoes, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 to 2.5 tablespoons, light soy sauce 生抽, adjust the quantity based on the sodium level of your soy sauce
- 2 spring onions, white and light green parts only, cut in half lengthwise and then into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon, Chinese cooking wine, (optional), click here for homemade Chinese cooking wine
- Rehydrate the tofu skin by submerging it into the warm water for about 20 to 30 minutes. Then drain.
- Place cooking oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add into thinly sliced garlic. Fry till fragrant. About 2 minutes. Add into tomato and green pepper cubes. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Add tofu sheets into the pan. Mix well. Cook for another 2 minutes. Add into light soy sauce. Mix well. Lastly, place spring onion pieces into the pan and fry for another 1 minute.
- If you have high-quality Chinese cooking wine, add 1 tablespoon. Cook for another 1 minute. The wine will help add a nice touch of natural sweetness to balance the light acidity coming from the tomato and mild bitterness of the green bell pepper. This is optional. Unless you have high quality of rice wine, otherwise, just skip this step.
- Serve hot with a bowl of rice.