These pork cutlets are juicy on the inside and are crispy on the outside. This is my favorite way to have pork chops. An important tip for oven-baked tonkatsu is that you can’t use thick pieces of pork loin. It will take too long for the pork to cook through so keep in mind that the thickness of pork should be no more than 1/2 inch (1.2 cm).
- 1 and half cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ½ inch-thick (1/2 inch = 1.2cm) boneless pork chops
- 1 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 spring onion (minced) and a few cherry tomatoes (cut into half), for garnishing, optional
For Tonkatsu sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- A half tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 400F°(200C°).
- Combine the panko and oil in a frying pan and toast over medium heat until golden brown. Transfer panko into a shallow dish and allow to cool.
- Tenderize the pork chops by bashing with a meat mallet or rolling pin – this is optional. Sprinkle salt and freshly ground black pepper on the pork chops.
- Dredge each pork piece in the flour to coat completely and pat off the excess flour. Then dip into the beaten egg and finally coat with the toasted panko. Press on the panko flakes to make sure they adhere to the pork. Place the pork on the prepared baking pan or even better if you have an oven-safe wire rack (as air goes through on the bottom so panko won’t get crushed). Bake until the pork is no longer pink inside, about 20 minutes.
- Cut Tonkatsu into 1-inch pieces (so you can eat with chopsticks or fork) by pressing the knife directly down instead of moving back and forth. This way the panko will not come off. Transfer to a plate and serve immediately.
- To make Tonkatsu sauce, combine 1 tablespoon of ketchup, 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, a half tablespoon of oyster sauce and 1 teaspoon of sugar and whisk together. Adjust the sauce according to your liking. You can store in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 weeks.