The recipe makes a good use of canned or frozen vegetables and dried herbs you would already have in your well-stocked pantry. You can cook a large quantity to make a hearty meal or scoop out a few of those tender and juicy meatballs as your tapas choice.
- 350g ground beef
- 1 cup and half (80g) bread crumbs
- 5 tablespoons Freshly grated Parmesan or Manchego Cheese
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 spring onions, minced
- 2 teaspoons, fresh thyme, chopped, or ½ teaspoon, dry Thyme
- ½ teaspoon, Turmeric powder黄姜粉
- 2 large eggs
- Salt and ground black peppercorn for seasoning
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 can (400g) plum tomato, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons dry red wine
- 5 tablespoon, fresh basil, roughly chopped, or 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 tablespoon, fresh rosemary, roughly chopped, or use 1/3 dried rosemary
- 1 cup, peas, use fresh or frozen ones
- Combine the beef, bread crumbs, cheese, tomato paste, garlic, spring onions, thyme, turmeric powder, egg, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix well. Shape the mixture into 16-18 small meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, Add the meatballs and pan fry browned all over, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, wine, basil and rosemary. Simmer gently until the meatballs are cooked and the sauce is reduced. 10-15 minutes. Add the peas, cook for another 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.