Give this healthy, hassel-free and oven-baked recipe a try, and crack open your favorite cold beer to go with it. They can be served as an appetizer, finger food, or as one of several main dishes. The marinade is simple and extremely flavorful. Panko are designed to soak up the marinade and provide a luxuriously crispy coating.
- 1000g baby back ribs (cut into individual pieces; about 10-12 ribs, washed and pat dry with kitchen towel.)
- 2 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine (click for homemade cooking wine)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon White peppercorn powder 白胡椒粉
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or use 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar白糖
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 egg
- 1 and ½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 and ½ teaspoons coarse sea salt
- Cilantro or chopped spring inions for garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix the ribs, Chinese cooking wine, white peppercorn powder, garlic powder, caster sugar, light soy sauce, corn starch and egg until combined. Toss in the ribs until they’re well coated and refrigerate overnight (if you’re scrambling for time, 2 hours will also suffice).
- When you’re ready to cook the ribs, preheat oven to 400F° or 200C°, and line a sheet pan with heavy duty foil for easy clean-up. Give the ribs another toss in the marinade.
- Mix the panko and salt in a separate bowl. Heavily dredge each rib in the panko mixture and place on the sheet pan. Sprinkle any of the remaining panko mixture on top of the ribs.
- Place the ribs in the middle of the oven, close the oven door, and immediately reduce the temperature to 325 F°. Bake for 30 minutes. Flip each rib and lightly cover them with a sheet of foil. Bake for another 30 minutes – this helps lock the moisture of the ribs. Remove the sheet of foil on the top and flip each rib again and turn up the oven to 400F° or 200C°, bake for another 10 minutes until the ribs become golden.
- Serve, garnished with cilantro or spring onions if desire