This easy Panang Curry recipe is very delicious and takes less than 20 minutes to make. It guarantees an authentic Thai restaurant-quality dish if you use homemade curry paste. Serve the curry with steamed rice and you’ll have a complete meal.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/3 cup Panang Paste (click here or refer to below for homemade curry paste)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 500g boneless chicken breast or chick thigh, cut into bite-size strips
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons palm sugar
- 5-6 Thai bird chili (optional)
- 5-6 green beans, cut into small pieces (optional)
- 4-6 Kaffir lime or lime leaves, sliced into strands, or zest of two limes. Save a bit extra for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Heat up a heavy-bottomed pot, add into 1 tablespoon of cooking oil over high heat for about 2 minutes then place the 1/3 of the Panang Curry Paste. Cook for a few minutes until aromatic. Pour into 1 cup coconut milk and bring it to a boil.
- Turn to medium heat. Add into the 500g chicken, mix well and cook until chickens are almost done. Add into fish sauce, palm sugar, Thai red bird chili and green beans. Cook until the chickens are well cooked. This takes no more than 15 minutes. Turn off the heat. Taste it and add salt as needed.
Panang Curry Paste
Makes 1 cup
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 12 cloves, garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons, cilantro stems
- 20-30 dried red chili depending on your tolerance level of spiciness, softened in warm water
- 2 teaspoons, white peppercorns, dry-roasted
- 1 big thumb of galangal
- 2 stalks lemongrass, white parts only香茅, roughly cut
- 2 shallots, peeled小红葱头
- 2 teaspoons, kaffir/lime leaves or lime zest
- 2 teaspoons of Thai shrimp paste, or use 2 tablespoons of red miso
- 7 to 8 tablespoons of unsalted peanuts, dry-roasted
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup, water
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor, blender or chopper. Add 1/3 to ½ cup of water to help the machine running. Blender till the mixture becomes paste. The paste does not have to be very smooth. Transfer to a jar with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate until ready to use.