An easy cucumber salad or an appetizer that’s a little spicy, slightly sweet and tangy. It’ll be an excellent complement to any of your barbeque dishes. You’ll need to lightly salt the cucumber slices first and let them stand for a while to draw out water. This process gives the cucumbers an extra crunch.
- 4-5 Aka Kirby Cucumbers (about 400g) remove both ends and thinly sliced (use any Persian, English, Chinese or Japanese cucumbers. These varieties are less seedy, very crispy and tasty.)
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt食盐
- 150g Kimchi韩国辣白菜, minced， for better taste, try homemade kimchi
- ½ tablespoon garlic, minced (optional）
- 1 tablespoon spring onions, minced葱花
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar 米醋
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil 香油
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar白糖
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds, toasted ideally
- Thinly slice the cucumber (1/8 to 1/4-inch thick). Place slices in a salad bowl. Toss gently with salt and set aside for about 15 minutes. In the meantime, toast the white sesame seeds over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Drain excess liquid from the salad bowl. Avoid squeezing them because they will bruise. Mix well with all of the remaining ingredients. It is ready to serve.
- Or you can place the salad bowl in the fridge and let the salad sit for about 30 mins.