Chicken Satay should be a staple in the kitchen with its juicy, marinated skewered chicken layered with flavor all dunked in creamy, intoxicating peanut satay sauce. The marinade is the most important part of the recipe. The best satays are marinated with lots of spices and ingredients. Traditionally, home cooks pound all the ingredients above with a mortar and pestle until it becomes a fine paste. Mix the meat (either beef, chicken or mutton) with the marinade overnight; this will ensure that every piece of the meat is bursting with robust flavors.
- 900g boneless and skinless chicken thigh and leg meat
- bamboo skewers, soaked in cold water for 2 hours
- 1 cucumber, cut into small pieces
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 stalks lemongrass, white parts only香茅
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 shallots, peeled小红葱头
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder or 3g fresh turmeric root姜黄
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed香菜籽
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon salt or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Satay Peanut Sauce
- 1 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts, unsalted
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce, Kecap Manis
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar, palm sugar preferred
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon tamarind pulp, soaked in 1/4 cup water for 15 minutes, squeeze the tamarind pulp for juice and discard the pulp罗望子
- 6-8 dried red chilies, seeded and soaked in warm water
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 shallots
- 2 lemon grass, white parts only
- 3g ginger (galangal preferred)
Method for Chicken Satays (Chicken Skewers)
- Cut the chicken meat into small cubes. Set aside.
- Blend all the he Marinade ingredients in a food processor. Add a little water if needed.
- Combine the chicken and the Marinade together, stir to mix well. Marinate the chicken for 6 hours in the fridge, or best overnight. When ready, thread 3-4 pieces of the chicken meat onto the bamboo skewers.
- Grill the chicken satay skewers for 2-3 minutes on each side until the meat is fully cooked and the surface is nicely charred, on both sides. Baste and brush with some oil while grilling. Serve hot with the fresh cucumber pieces and onions.
Method for Satay Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Crush the peanuts coarsely with mortar and pestle or mini food processor and set aside. You can toast the peanuts ahead of time to enhance peanut flavor.
- Chop the spice paste ingredients and blend in a mini food processor until fine. Heat oil and fry the spice paste until aromatic and smell spicy. Add the peanuts, tamarind juice, water, sugar, sweet soy sauce and stir thoroughly. Simmer in low heat while continue stirring for about 3 minutes until the peanut sauce turns smooth. Serve at room temperature with the satay.
Cook Chicken Satay
- To grill, grease an indoor or outdoor grill and heat to high heat. Once hot, add chicken, reduce heat to medium and cover.Grill chicken approximately 4 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through (internal temp of 165 degrees F).
- You can certainly bake satay in the oven, or pan-fried on a skillet. They will still taste delicious. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.Evenly divide chicken between baking sheets. Make sure there is room in between the chicken so your chicken bakes and doesn’t steam. Bake 15-20 minutes OR until chicken is cooked (internal temp of 165 degrees F).
- You can use a combination of chicken breasts, chicken thighs and legs. Just remove the skin and cut each piece of the chicken meat into uniform pieces.
- For the best results, marinate the chicken overnight
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water for at least two hours. This will prevent the bamboo skewers from burning.