These fluffy, chewy buns are not only delicious, they are also very convenient to prepare with a large quantity, freeze and reheat. They make great party food as well as quick and healthy meals or snacks for kids.
Yields about 6 Buns
- 200g All-purpose flour or plain flour 中筋面粉
- 4g (or 1/2 tablespoon) yeast酵母
- 3g (or 1 teaspoon) baking powder泡打粉
- 15g (or 1 tablespoon) caster sugar
- 110g water in room temperature
- 6 good-quality hot dog sausage, 15cm in length each
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Place the flour, baking powder, sugar and yeast in a mixing bowl and gradually add in the 110g water. Use your fingers to bring the mixture together and make a dough. Knead the dough for about 6 minutes till it is smooth. Cover the bowl with clingy film.
- Rest for 30 minutes till the dough rises and doubles in size (room temperature in 28C°or so). Dough resting time varies depending on the room temperature.
- Now let’s make the hot dog. Roll dough into a long cylinder, then cut off 6 pieces of dough, about 50g each. Dust them lightly with flour. Stand them cut-side up and press down them into and roll them into a strip (about the length of hot dog sausage). Cover those dough strips and let them rest for another 5 minutes.
- Pick one dough strip and roll it out to a rope from middle towards both ends (like you shape baguette). The rope should be 4 times longer than the strip. Then wrap the rope around the sausage. Tuck in the loose ends.
- Place all the buns in parchment paper lined steamer baskets – make sure there is space between the buns, as they will expand. Leave the buns to rest for 30 minutes – this is the 2nd rise for the dough.
- Fill a steamer pot or wok with water. Place the bamboo baskets or any the stainless steamer you would have. Cover the steamer. Turn to the high heat and cook for about 12 minutes. Turn off the heat. Don’t open the lid yet. Let it rest for 5 minutes then open the lid. This is an important step, because if you remove the lid too early, the buns will collapse and lose their fluffy shape! You can enjoy the buns now.
- Or lightly coat the frying pan with cooking oil. Place the steamed buns onto the pan. Fry over medium heat for a few minutes till bottom is golden.
- Done! Serve it with Ketchup if you like!
- Make large quantity of the steamed hot dogs and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Make sure you steam the buns and let them cool completely before freezing.
- Reheat by placing the frozen buns into a steamer, and steaming for about 10 minutes. Or place the frozen buns on an oil-coated fry pan and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes till bottom is golden.