With their blistered golden exterior and juicy filling of shredded vegetables. this classic dim sum dish can be either vegetarian or include shrimp or pork. Thin sheets of soy skin enclose the filling in what looks much like a Spring Roll, which is then fried to make the outer layer bubbles and crisp up, while the inner layers of soy skin remain soft and pliable.
Yields 12 pieces,
2 big sheets Soy skin, cut into square pieces in a dimension of 12cm. 豆腐衣剪成方块状, (make sure you get the plain one not the salty one. The plain one may need to be stored in the fridge.)
- 1 Half carrot, thinly sliced，胡罗卜切丝
- 2 Eggs, beaten and scrambled
- 30g Wood ear fungus (after dehydration)，水发后的重量
- 30g Dried shiitake mushroom (after dehydration) 水发后的重量
- 60g Mung bean sprouts 绿豆芽
- 3 sprigs Chives韭菜
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (for frying the filling)
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- ¼ teaspoon white peppercorn powder
- 3 tablespoons water starch (1 tablespoon of corn starch mixed with 2 tablespoons of water)
2 tablespoons of plain flour mixed with 3 tablespoons of water to make the flour paste
- Prepare and thinly sliced all the vegetable ingredients for the filling.
- Cut the soy skin sheets into small square pieces.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a pan and make the scrambled eggs over low medium heat. Set scrambled eggs aside.
- Use the same pan, place another 1 tablespoon of oil, fry carrots, mushrooms, mung bean sprouts and chives for 3-4 minutes till soft. Return scrambled eggs. Then add light soy sauce, sesame oil, salt, sugar and white peppercorn powder, mix well. Pour into water starch. Stir well till the filling becomes thickened. The filling is done.
- Now let’s assemble the soy skin rolls. Pick up a piece of small soy skin sheet, place a tablespoon filling in the middle. Fold it up towards the other end, then fold it again from left and right and then roll it up again. Then soy skin is dry, you will need apply flour paste to seal the edges.
- Heat the deep-fry oil to 200C°. Gently place the rolls. Deep fry over low-medium heat for about 4-5 minutes till golden.