Described as a Chinese-style coleslaw, this dish is distinctively Chinese. Instead of using mayonnaise, for example, it is seasoned with a light, palate-cleansing vinaigrette. and rather than carrots, it features chopped coriander, minced garlic, sesame oil and a touch of rice vinegar. Just like coleslaw though, the dish is a perfect accompaniment to barbecue or roast meats which you will enjoy a lot during the holiday season.
- 500g Napa cabbage, thinly sliced大白菜
- 3-4 sprigs Coriander, roughly chopped, 香菜
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 dried dry chilies干辣椒
- 1 tablespoon Szechuan peppercorns花椒
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Thai bird chili (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice vinegar or Balsamic vinegar米醋或者意大利香醋
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar白糖
- ½ tablespoon salt or for taste
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil香油
- Prepare all the ingredients. Thinly slice the Napa cabbage. Roughly chop the coriander. Place them in a large salad bowl. Mince the garlic. Place the minced garlic onto the cabbage.
- Mix the vinegar, sugar, salt and sesame oil in a bowl to make a dressing.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok and add dried chilies and Szechuan peppercorns. Heat over low heat until fragrant. Then remove the Szechuan peppercorns. Pour infused oil over the minced garlic. Mix the salad well.
- Serve in a half hour later. This allows the cabbage to absorb the dressing well.