Legend says that these chicken wings were one of Consort Yang Guifei;s favorite things to eat along with fresh lychees. It can actually be cooked in a fuss-free way, entirely in the oven for only 30 minutes! I’ve removed red wine in the traditional recipe by using simple marinade ingredients – rice wine, spring onions and soy sauce, the pantry staples in any Chinese kitchen. It tastes deliciously like BBQ chicken wing, perfect for home meals, potluck and dinner party.
- 15 pieces (500g) chicken wings (middle part only)
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine
- 4-5 (50g) spring onions
1 tablespoon honey (optional)
1 tablespoon white sesame seeds (optional)
- Pat dry the chicken wings with kitchen towel.
- Use a Chinese knife to smash the spring onions on the cutting board to loosen the fiber. Cut the spring onions into 5-cm long small pieces. In a large bowl, mix into soy sauce, cooking wine and the spring onions. Add the chicken wings. Mix well. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200℃. Place aluminum foil in a baking tray (I would do 2 layers as it helps keep the tray clean for easy cleaning later), arrange the wings in the tray and grill for 30 minutes.
- Brush honey on the wings or/and sprinkle some sesames seeds a few minutes before the wings are moved out of the oven.