One of my favorite tofu recipes. The crispy golden exterior of the battered tofu wonderfully contrasts with its soft and silken interior. The dish can be literally translated into Pot Collapse Tofu (Guo Ta Dou Fu). Guo Ta is a Chinese cooking method in which the food is slowly cooked until it gets dry and sticks to the bottom of the wok (hence the name ‘Guo Ta’). The recipe of the dish was originated from the province of Shangdong, but late has become one of the landmark dishes in Northern China.
- 2 blocks (about 500g- 600g in total) firm Tofu老豆腐
- ½ – 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 teaspoon white pepper powder (optional)白胡椒粉
- 4 tablespoons corn flour for dredging 淀粉
- 2 eggs beaten
- 4-5 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons spring onions, minced香葱末
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced姜末
- 250ml chicken stock 鸡汤
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce 生抽
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar 白糖
- 1 teaspoon corn flour淀粉
- For best result, remove as much moisture from the tofu before frying. Unwrap the Tofu packet. Pat dry the Tofu with paper towel. Cut the tofu into equal square pieces of 4-5 cm long and 1cm thick. Season the pieces with salt and white pepper powder.
- In a small bowl mix the seasoning sauce ingredients.
- Get organized for frying: having at the ready separate bowls or plates filled with corn flour and beaten eggs. Heat a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil at a time. Dredge the tofu slices in corn flour, then dip into the beaten egg, coating them completely. Slip the tofu into the hot frying pan. Fry for about 2 minutes until golden brown, then flip over and fry the other side. Place paper towel in a plate and remove the tofu to the plate. Repeat the process for the remaining Tofu pieces.
- To the same hot pan add the minced ginger and half of the spring onions. Fry until fragrant. Return all the fried Tofu pieces to the pan. Add the seasoning sauce and bring to a simmer. Turn heat to low and cook until the liquid is reduced to a thick sauce. To ensure all Tofu pieces are evenly coated with sauce, you can choose either carefully flipping the tofu once or using a spoon to scoop some sauce onto top of the Tofu pieces. This takes about 4-5 minutes.
- Plate, garnish with the remaining spring onions.