This healthy and colorful dish has been very popular when served as a cold appetizer at my Xiao Long Bao cooking class. The vinegar dressing, highlighted by two different types of rice-based Chinese vinegar, can be made in large quantity in advance and store in the fridge for up to two months. You can also mix and match by using any vegetables of your choice.
- 5 sprigs spring onions, roughly chopped，香葱切丝
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons Chinese white rice vinegar 白米醋
- 2 tablespoons Chinkiang vinegar镇江香醋
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil 香油
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce 生抽
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar白糖
- 250g Bean sprouts 绿豆芽
- 250g Golden mushrooms 金针菇
- 80g French beans, thinly sliced，四季豆切丝
- 80g Carrots, thinly sliced 胡萝卜切丝
- 50g Chinese black fungus, roughly chopped， 木耳水发后切丝. (dry Chinese black fungus is available in any Asia markets. Need to soak in the water for about 30 minutes before use. )
- 120g Red bell pepper, thinly sliced，红柿子椒切丝
- Heat the cooking oil over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add spring onions and fry over low medium heat for about 5 minutes. Drain by removing the caramelized spring onions. This will yield 3 tablespoons of spring onions oil.
- Place the spring onions oil in a mixing bowl. Add into rest of the vinegar dressing seasonings. Mix well. Set aside.
- Bring a big pot of water to a boil. Blanch all the vegetables by batches. Cool off the blanched vegetables under the running water. Drain. This takes about 8-10 minutes.
- Add all the cooked vegetables into the vinegar dressing bowl. Mix well.
- Chill in the fridge for a half hour then enjoy.