Is it worth making pita at home? Absolutely – the oven is like a magician’s cave as you are thrilled to see the dough puff up in the oven. Once you get hang of it, it’s not difficult.
Makes 8 pieces,
- 1 cup (or 215g) lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoon (or 6g) dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon (or 3g) sugar
- 2 and 1/2 cup (or 310g) plain flour中筋面粉
- 1/4 cup (or 35g) wholemeal flour 全麦面粉
- 2g salt
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Make sponge: place 1 cup lukewarm water in a mixing bowl. Add yeast and sugar. Stir to dissolve. Add the 1/4 cup wholemeal flour and 1/4 cup plain flour and whisk well. Put the bowl in a warm place (e.g on top of another bowl with very warm water). Leave it uncovered for about 15 minutes until mixture is foamy and bubbling.
- Add salt, olive oil and nearly all remaining plain four (reserve 1/4 cup for dusting).Stir for 1 minutes until mixture forms a shaggy mass.
- Lightly dust the work surface. Turn the dough onto it and knead for 4-5 minutes.
- Move the dough back to bowl and cover it with a plastic bag. Leave until dough has doubled in size. It takes about 1 hour.
- Place a baking tray in the oven. Heat the oven to 235℃.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces of equal size. Form each piece into a little ball. Place dough balls on work surface, cover with a damp cloth and rest for 10 minutes.
- Remove 1 ball (keeping others covered), punch down the ball and flatten it into a thin piece (in 3-4 mm) with a rolling pin.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven (BE CAREFUL – it is very HOT). Place 3-4 pieces on the tray. Move the tray back to the BOTTOM shelf of the oven. Bake for 2-3 minutes –the dough should be nicely puffed. Turn over with tongs and bake 1 minute more. The pita should be pale, only lightly browned on one side.
- Transfer warm pita to a clean kitchen towel and cover so the bread stays soft.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough balls.
- Make sure the oven is VERY HOT. Otherwise the dough will not puff!
- Don’t overbake – 4-5 minutes altogether shall be good. Otherwise you will end up with very dry bread.