There are times you would just want nothing more than a pile of vegetables with simple dressing, after days of rich meals. A very minimum preparation time involved, this Asian-style slaw comes to the rescue with crisp Napa cabbage and chewy extra firm tofu The result is the fresh, light and nutritious salad good for both cool and warm weathers.
- 7-8 pieces, roughly 200g Napa cabbage, thinly sliced大白菜芯, use the good and tender part of the cabbage stalk (they look like yellow not green) and use the stem part only
- 1 spring onion
- 120g or 2 small pieces Extra firm tofu豆干, sliced and blanched
- 3-4 sprigs Coriander, roughly chopped, 香菜
- 4 or 5 Thai bird chili or 1 big red chili
- 1 tablespoon skinless peanuts
- 1/3 to ½ teaspoons salt
- 1/2 tablespoon caster sugar白糖, optional
- 1 tablespoon white rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil香油
- Prepare all the ingredients. Thinly slice the Napa cabbage. Remove the leaves and save it in the fridge for future use. Slice the spring onions. Soak the sliced cabbage and spring onions in the water in a big bowl for about 20 minutes.
- Sliced the tofu. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add into the tofu. Once the water becomes boiling again, transfer the tofu out, dry them with kitchen towel. Place it in the salad mixing bowl.
- Use a colander to drain the cabbage and spring onions. Use kitchen towel to dry them then transfer to the same salad mixing bowl. Add into chopped coriander, sliced bird chili and peanuts. Add into peanuts, salt, sugar vinegar and sesame oil.
- Toss well. Serve in a half hour later. This allows the cabbage to absorb the dressing well.