This healthy, delicious one-pot dish can be customized with most quick-cooking vegetables — thinly sliced asparagus or radishes and brown or button mushrooms — and whatever tofu you have access to. The white peppercorn powder at the end will breathe a lot of much-needed life into this casserole dish built mostly from pantry staples, but a splash of rice wine vinegar would also do the trick.
- 1 packet (about 400g) firm or extra firm Tofu 北豆腐, cut into small cubes
- 12-15 (about 200g) medium-size shrimps, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon corn starch玉米淀粉
- 1 spring onion green and white parts separated, minced 葱白葱绿分开, 切成末
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup chicken stock (click chinese homemade stock )
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce生抽
- 2 tablespoons Chinese word-ear mushrooms (rehydrated one) or use button or brown mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen pea and carrot mix or any suitable vegetables of broccoli or asparagus
- 1 teaspoon white sugar (optional)
- A pinch of white peppercorn powder 白胡椒粉
- ¼ cup water in room temperature
- 2 tablespoons corn starch玉米淀粉
- Cut tofu into square cubes (around 2cms). Bring a large amount of water to a boil and then add a pinch of salt. Slide the tofu in and cook for 1 minute. Move out and drain.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt, ½ tablespoon of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of cooking wine and 1 teaspoon of corn starch to the shrimp. Mix well and set aside.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of corn starch with ¼ cup of water in a small bowl to make the water starch.
- Get a pot and heat up around 2 tablespoons of oil, fry the minced white part of the spring onion for 1 minute over medium heat till aromatic, add into shrimp. Once the shrimp becomes translucent (50% cooked), then add the drained tofu cubes. Mix well and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add into 1 cup of chicken stock and 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce and bring it to a boil. Add into mushroom, turn to low-medium heat, cover the pot and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Now stir the water starch into the simmering pot – do this by three batches to allow tofu even coated with seasonings. Just wait for around 30 seconds before you add another 1 batch of the water starch. Taste the tofu and add pinch of salt if not salty enough. Stir into your choice of vegetables. Mix well. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle minced spring onions (green part).
- Serve immediately with steamed rice.