The dish can be quickly put together by using the ingredients possibly already existed in your pantry. And you will hardly have the chance to fail! The thin sheets of soy skin (tofu sheets) absorb the smokiness of the bacon and sweet and savouries of the cooking wine and soy sauce, making it a perfect comfort meal to go with a bowl of rice. The tofu sheets, pliable yet soft, contrasts beautifully with the crunchiness of the peppers and garlic sprout.
- 100g 2-3 Big sheets Tofu sheets (soy skin), cut into pieces in a dimension of 12cm. 豆腐皮剪成方块状 (make sure you get the plain one not the salty one. The plain one needs to be stored in the fridge or freezer.)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 strips bacon, cut into bite size
- 3 cloves, garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 big green chili pepper, cut into bite size
- 2 small red chili pepper, cut into bite size
- 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce生抽
- ½ tablespoon dark soy sauce老抽
- 1.5 tablespoon good quality Chinese cooking wine (click here for homemade Chinese cooking wine)
- 1 garlic sprout, you can substitute it with spring onion or simply skip it if you do not have it in your kitchen, separate white and green parts青蒜苗, cut into bite size
- Salt to taste
- Place the cut tofu sheets in a colander. Wash under the running water. Or quickly wash them in the bowl. The sheets will turn soft immediately. Drain.
- Place cooking oil in a clay pot (or any frying pan) over medium heat. Add into sliced bacon and cook till fragrant and bacon starts shrink. Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Add green and red chili pepper and fry for 2 minutes. Add white part of the garlic sprout and fry for another 1 minute.
- Add soy sheets in the pot. Mix light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and Chinese cooking wine in a small bowl and pour into the pot. Mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes till the sauce is almost absorbed by the soy sheets.
- Serve hot with a bowl of rice.