These savory pancakes made with summer zucchini are quick and easy to make and so delicious! They are perfect for a snack, an appetizer, breakfast or a light meal.
It doesn’t have to be zucchini though, it can be any vegetables such as carrots, bell peppers, even lightly blanched broccoli. And you can add some meat or seafood too if you want to make fancy pancakes.
- 1 Zucchini (about 350g), washed and grated by using the coarse side of a box grater西葫芦
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 spring onions, minced
- ¼ teaspoon white peppercorn powder 白胡椒粉
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon, caster sugar
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- ½ tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds for sprinkling (optional)
- Light soy sauce
- Wash the zucchini clean and dry it with a kitchen towel. Grate the zucchini using the coarse grate side of a box grater.
- In a large bowl, mix the grated zucchini with ½ teaspoon of salt. Let sit for 15 minutes, and you’ll see visible zucchini juice at the bottom of the bowl, which we will keep. Now mix in 2 eggs, minced spring onions, ¼ teaspoon white peppercorn powder, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, ½ teaspoon sugar, and ½ cup plain flour. If you feel like you need more flour (this could depend on the size of the eggs, for example), add it 1 tablespoon at a time. The final batter should look like similar to regular breakfast pancake batter. Let the batter rest for another 15 minutes.
- Now heat a pan over medium heat, lightly brush the bottom with some cooking oil, and pour some batter into the pan (make the pancakes whatever size you like). Sprinkle sesame seeds (optional) over the top and cook each side until lightly golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Repeat until you’ve used all the batter.
- You can serve with a simple soy dipping sauce, chili oil, or whatever other condiments you like. With a bowl of hot sour soup or congee, they make a perfect, healthy light meal.