A vegan version of the gorgeous Kung Pao dish. The Sichuan Cuisine boasts 24 different types of ‘complex flavours’复合味. The Kung Pao (the sweet-sour-scorched chili flavour) taste is obviously the most beautiful one. The two spices (Sichuan Peppercorns and Dried Chillies) are sizzled in oil until the chillies are darkening. Throw in a bit of sweet and sour. And you have Kung Bao Flavour, a truly marvellous taste.
- 250g fried tofu puff (豆泡)，cut into cubes; or 500g extra firm tofu, cut into cubes and pan fried till golden
- 6 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons Sichuan peppercorns四川花椒
- 1.5 tablespoons garlic, minced蒜末
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced姜末
- 10g dried red chili, roughly chopped干红辣椒
- 60g leek (only white part), cut into small sections. Try to get 2 small-size of leek if possible. If not, just use 1 big-size one. Slice them into small pieces of 1.5 cm in length. Split the big-size one then slice it into the same length. 大葱切宵 段（只用葱白）
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce老抽
- 2.5 tablespoons light soy sauce生抽
- 1 tablespoon Chinkiang vinegar镇江香醋
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar白糖
- 1 tablespoon corn flour玉米淀粉
Coriander for garnish(optional)
- Cut fried tofu puff into cubes. If you use extra firm tofu, then cut the tofu into cubes, pan fry them till golden.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the ingredients of seasoning sauce (dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, Chinkiang vinegar, caster sugar and corn flour). Stir and mix well to make sure sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Add 6 tablespoons of cooking oil in the work over high heat. When the oil is heated, add Sichuan peppercorns in the wok over LOW heat. Stir fry for 3 minutes or until fragrant. Skim and remove the cooked peppercorns if you feel them annoying when enjoying the food later. (Be sure of using low heat and be patient. Over-fried peppercorns bring a bitter taste. Pour the oil in a bowl. Set aside.
- Now place 1/3 of the peppercorn oil in the wok, turn up the heat to medium heat, add garlic, ginger, leek and cook for about 2 minutes or until fragrant. Then add dried chili and cook for another 2 minutes. Transfer the cooked mixture into the seasoning sauce. Mix well. Set aside.
- Add rest of the oil in a clean wok, turn up the heat over high heat. When the oil becomes very hot, add into tofu puff cubes. Stir fry for about 2 minutes. Mix the tofu cubes with the cooked seasoning sauce. This process should take about less than 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer out on a plate and serve with rice.
Click Kung Pao Chicken and Kung Pao Shrimp for recipes