A light yet hearty meal when you crave vegetables. You will probably get fixated on the contrasting textures of softness of the mushroom and the chewy and crunchy cabbage. Enjoy it as a salad for two or an appetizer for a family meal.
- 500g Cabbage莲花白(圆白菜)
- 5-6 Fresh Shiitake mushroom or Wood-ear mushroom (soaked to become soft) (新鲜香菇或者泡发黑木耳), sliced
- 1/2 Red bell pepper, sliced，红柿子椒切丝
- 4 tablespoons Cooking oil
- 2 sprigs spring onions, roughly chopped，香葱切丝
- 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns花椒
- 3-4 dry chilies (optional)
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar白糖
- ½ teaspoon table salt盐
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil香油
- Peel the cabbage leaves and tear the leaves part into small pieces by using your hands (no need to use knife).
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Poach the cabbage by 2-3 batches. Each batch cooks about 1-2 minutes. Use a slotted spoon and place them in a colander. Poach the mushroom after you’ve done with the cabbage. Cook mushroom in the boiling water for about 3 minutes. Drain the cabbage and mushroom. Cool it off under running water if you prefer. Use your hands to squeeze water out of the cabbage if needed.
- Heat the cooking oil over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add spring onions and fry over low medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add Sichuan Peppercorns and dried chilies. Fry for another 2 minutes. Drain by removing the caramelized spring onions, peppercorns and dried chilies. This will yield 3 tablespoons of spring onions oil.
- Place cooked cabbage, mushroom and sliced red pepper in a big bowl. Add into the spring onion oil, sugar, salt and sesame oil. Use chopsticks to mix them well.
- Serve immediately or chill in the fridge.