You will feel cozily competent after baking these cute and soft buns for your family dinner table or party. They are easy to pull off. No bread machine is involved. No kneading is required.
Makes about 20 rolls,
- 300g plain flour中筋面粉
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast 酵母
- 1/3 teaspoon salt盐
- Milk 120ml (room temperature)
- 35g unsalted butter (melted by using microwave and cool off), room temperature
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds or/and poppy seeds (optional)
- Melted butter by using a microwave or heat the butter on a frying pan over low medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Cool it off. Beat the egg. Prepare ¼ cup of lukewarm water (40°C). And add into the yeast. Mix well and make sure yeast is dissolved.In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients except the sesame seeds. Also use only half the beaten egg (save the other half portion for glazing use). Use a spatula to combine the ingredients together till you see a smooth dough. It takes about 2-3 minutes. It is important to use the milk in room temperature. So either take milk from fridge earlier or heat it up to 40°C
- Cover the bowl with lid. Wrap the bowl with a plastic bag. Let the dough rest for about 2 hours till the dough becomes 2.5 to 3 times bigger in size.
- Punch air out of dough. Oil a baking sheet and set aside. Pull off pieces of dough the size of walnuts, and form into round balls. Place on baking sheet almost touching each other, in 4 rows of 5 each. Cover with a kitchen towel, and let rise in a warm place 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oven to 200°C.
- When rolls have risen. Paint rolls with glaze. Sprinkle one row with sesame seeds and the next with poppy seeds; leave the third row plain, and then repeat pattern. Varieties of seeds are optional. You can choose to use one kind or none at all.
- Bake rolls until risen and golden brown, about 15-18 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack or serve immediately.