This famous Thai street food can be such a hearty meal even though it takes no more than 15 minutes to prepare and cook. Do not confuse the Thai basil (holy basil) with its Italian cousin (sweet basil). The Thai holy basil has small, narrow leaves, purple stems, and pink-purple flowers with distinct, spicy and anise-clove flavor.
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced，蒜末
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced 小红葱头
- 3 bird chili or any 1 big red chili, thinly sliced，
- 1 yard-long beans (optional), cut into smalls sections in 1cm
- 250g ground chicken鸡肉
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce鱼露
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce生抽
- ½ tablespoon dark soy sauce 老抽 （optional）
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar白砂糖
- 1 bunch fresh Thai holy basil (use leaves only)泰式九层塔
- In a wokover high heat, add the oil. One the oil is hot, add garlic and shallots and fry for 1 minute then add chilies and long beans, and fry for another 1-2 minutes, until fragrance and softened.
- Add the ground chicken and stir-fry for 2 minutes, breaking up the chicken into small bits. Turn down the heat if you need a longer time to break down the ground chicken.Turn up the heat, add the sugar, soy sauce, and fish sauce. Stir-fry for another minute. Add the basil and mix well. Stir fry for 1 more minute. Remove the wok from the heat. Ready to serve with rice.
- Substitute the ground chicken with ground pork or sliced chicken. The flavour will remain the same.